If you are planning on having a home birth, it’s handy to have all the below in an easy to access place so your support team can easily find anything you may need. It is also a good idea to have a small bag beside these items so it can be quickly packed if necessary. Your midwife will bring all the equipment she requires.
HOME BIRTH KIT:
You will need: (Most families have this piled in one part of the lounge for easy access)
- Maternity Notes and Birthing Preferences
- Clothes – something old to birth in that you don’t mind if it gets messy and something to change into afterwards. Think loose clothing, t-shirt, sarong – easy to move in and to breastfeed after.
- If you are planning a water birth, you can be completely naked or a singlet top may be ideal. Also it is a good idea for support people to put their togs in the pile as the mother may like you to hop in with her for extra support.
- If you are using one the birthing pool and all accessories (pump, liner etc.) and also an old sieve or scooper to clear water if necessary. It is a good idea to have a practice run setting up the pool, and to have a repair kit if necessary
- A drop sheet or similar that you can protect your floors in the birthing space, or place under the birthing pool. DON’T place the pool on a cold tile/concrete floor. If this is your only option place a woolen blanket under the pool too.
- Several old towels, as well as a nice soft one for baby and you
- Rescue Remedy
- Candles/music to suit you, and any other support items – ie. wheatbags
- Baby clothes, and a hot water bottle to wrap clothes in prior to birth.
- 2 hats for baby especially if a water birth
- Heater – your home needs to be warm!
- Straws or a drink bottle
- Plastic container for the placenta
- Knickers and Pads
Home Birth Kit List provided by Empower Birth Classes