For many businesses nowadays, the website is often the first impression a customer receives. When you hear about something – you ‘Google’ it to find out more! Take a look at our easy tips to enhancing your business website.
- Keep it clear to read and navigate. Make sure it is instantly apparent what your website is about and/or what service you are offering. Ask someone to look at your website that has little to no knowledge of your business – how did they find it?
- Appearance is important. If your website doesn’t look great, chances are that people will assume your business isn’t that great either. Would you walk into a shop that had terribly dressed mannequins in the window?
Note: if you can’t afford a professional, try using student job search – web design students are very eager to find opportunities to utilize their skills/show off their work. Many are very good at what they do, and won’t cost half your business start up. See http://www.sjs.co.nz. Also, If your website budget is zero, don’t fret – there are platforms that host webpages for you for free! They have some great user-friendly templates and designs for those who are unfamiliar with web design. Check out http://www.wordpress.com.
- Find a theme and stick with it. Don’t have every different page a completely different colour scheme or look as this comes across amateurish, find your style and be consistent.
- Make sure your business’ contact details are easy to find! There is nothing more frustrating than being unable to find the ‘Contact Us’ section of a business website.
- Update your website regularly and make sure the information is up-to-date. If you have customer testimonials, don’t have the main one be from 2007!
- Have a website! Even if you begin with something simple such as a blog or Facebook page, in this day and age you definitely need an online presence.
Author Bio: Luisa is a Media Studies student and volunteers at Women’s Refuge in her spare time. Eldest of four girls.
P.S. Did you enjoy our article about six simple tips to enhance your website? We would love for you to share it!