I have a confession, I LOVE pasta. And pasta is the best with creamy sauces!! But, creamy pasta dishes are not kind to my waistline. They love me as much as I love them and want to stay with me, mainly in the hip region.
This dish has all the flavour of a usual creamy pasta dish, but as it uses light evaporated milk as the base of the sauce it is a lower calorie option. Of course it’s not as low calorie as a salad, but as its still a pasta dish you have to know you are consuming a few carbs!
Here is the recipe so you can give this creamy chicken pasta a go for yourselves…
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large chicken breast or 2 large chicken thighs
100g button mushrooms, diced
large handful of baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
1 onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
1x 375ml can Light Evaporated Milk
1 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp parmesan cheese (powdered or grated)
Dried or fresh fettuccine
- Boil water for the pasta
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan
- Add the diced onion to the pan and cook for 2 mins. Add the dried mixed herbs
- Cube the chicken and add to the pan. Cook for 2 mins.
- Add the bacon and mushrooms to the pan and cook for 2 mins
- Crush the garlic, add to the pan and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the evaporated milk, but reserve a small amount in the can. Simmer for 10mins (during this time, cook the pasta).
- Make a slurry with the reserved evaporated milk and the cornflour. Stir it into the pan with the parmesan and baby spinach. Cook for 2-3 mins until the sauce thickens.
- Serve on the drained pasta with some parmesan on the top
If you want to make a double batch of the meal, leave half in the fridge overnight and it will reheat well the next day.
Have you tried this meal? Let us know how it turned out in the comments below or over on our Facebook page. Better yet, post us a picture to Instagram with the hashtag #babyviewpics
Gemma is a kiwi Mum of one and is the Editor for The Baby View. She also works with preschool children, loves cooking, loves sunshine, loves chocolate and loses countless hours at a time looking at cute baby pictures on Instagram!