You know if you say that you are bringing baked goods with ham and cheese to a BBQ for snacks then people are going to get excited! Everybody loves a tasty treat with ham and cheese in it, add BBQ sauce and pastry and you have hit the motherload of yummy-ness!
These ham and cheese pinwheels are not only delicious but they are super easy to make as well. With only 4 ingredients involved it is less a recipe and more an assembly of items. If your kids love to help you in the kitchen, there are plenty of little tasks that they can help with during the assembly.
Here’s the recipe…
2x square sheets of Puff Pastry (I used Home Brand)
200g shaved champagne ham
100g grated cheese
Milk for brushing on pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C
2. Defrost the pastry sheets
3. When defrosted, spread BBQ sauce on two thirds of the pastry sheet
4. Lay shaved ham on top of the BBQ sauce, a couple of layers is good
5. Sprinkle a thin layer of grated cheese on top of the ham. Don’t put too much on or it will melt out during the cooking process
6. Roll up pastry sheet
7. Brush with milk to seal and on outer of rolled pastry
8. Trim off the ends of the roll and slice the pastry roll into 1cm pieces
9. Place pinwheels on a greased tray
10. Repeat steps 3-9 with the second pastry sheet
11. Cook for 15mins or until golden
Serve them warm or serve them cold, they are yummy either way! By using shaved ham instead of bacon, you still get all the flavour without the fattiness of bacon. It also makes them easier to roll up and cut as the filling is less bulky.
They are great for BBQs, taking as a plate to afternoon tea or even for kids lunchbox treats.
Hope you enjoy them! If you do, let us know in the comments below and post a picture to our Facebook or Instagram pages!