I love risotto! It’s such a versatile dish and you can change the whole flavour just by adding different veges and meat. But I do not love all of the ladling and stirring that goes along with making regular risotto. So it was time to pull out my trusty slow cooker for the super easy version!
This recipe really is the cheats guide to making risotto, you just mix the ingredients together and throw them in the slow cooker and let it go! It also has the added bonus that it does not include white wine so perfect for the little ones to gobble up for dinner.
Once the base recipe is cooked then you can add your flavour combinations to jazz it up. I added bacon, mushrooms and spinach to ours and it was absolutely delicious!
Here is the recipe so that you can make it too…
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cup Arborio rice
- 1-2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion finely diced
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 250g bacon
- 200g button mushrooms
- handful of baby spinach
- Spray the slow cooker with non stick spray and turn onto high
- Heat the olive oil in a pan
- Cook the onion until softened, add to the slow cooker
- Mix together the chicken stock, minced garlic, oregano, salt and pepper
- Add the Arborio rice into the slow cooker
- Pour the liquid over the rice and onions, stir to combine
- Cook on High for 2 hours, stirring several times during cooking time
- Pan fry the bacon and chopped mushrooms for several minutes, add the spinach to the pan and wilt it slightly
- Stir the parmesan, bacon, mushroom and spinach into the slow cooker
- Cook for several minutes until the cheese is melted
- Serve and Enjoy!
You can add your own flavour combinations if you do not like the sound of the ingredients I used in the above recipe. Chicken and lemon zest is very tasty, as is chorizo!
Have you tried this recipe? Let us know in the comments below or over on our Facebook page. Better yet, post us a picture of your creation on our Instagram page with the hashtag #babyviewpics
Gemma is a kiwi Mum of one and is the Editor for The Baby View. She also works with preschool children, loves cooking, loves sunshine, loves chocolate and loses countless hours at a time looking at cute baby pictures on Instagram!