I know if I want to get Miss 4 to try any new food item she thinks is too adventurous my chances greatly increase by putting it into a smoothie or a fritter! Seeing as tuna would be quite odd in a smoothie, I went with the fritter-like option! These Lemon Pepper Tuna Rice Cakes were an instant hit with both hubby and Miss 4. Now that they have tried and liked them, next time I will sneak in more veges!
Here is the recipe…
1/3 cup oil
1 finely chopped onion
100g finely chopped mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic crushed
1 1/2 cups of rice
3 cups of water
2 chicken stock cubes
2x 185g cans of lemon pepper tuna (drained)
1/4 cup cooked peas & corn
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1/3 cup flour
- Cook onions and mushrooms in 1 Tbsp of the oil until softened, add garlic and cook for 30secs
- Stir in the rice and cook stirring for 1 min.
- Stir in the water and crumbled stock cubes. Bring mixture to the boil.
- Reduce heat and cover, leave to simmer without stirring for 15mins or until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove it from the heat.
- Spread the rice mixture across a large tray. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Once cold, transfer the rice mixture into a large bowl and stir in the eggs, lemon pepper tuna, peas & corn, dried parsley and flour.
- Shape into patties. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over a medium to high heat. Cook the patties for approx 3 mins each side, or until golden brown.
- Serve them up with your favourite sides and ENJOY!
The lemon pepper in the tuna gave the rice cakes a lovely flavour, but you could use plain tuna if you prefer.
The recipe made a batch that was too big for the three of us to finish in one meal, so I only cooked half of the mixture the first night. I refrigerated the rest and cooked the second batch the following night and they were just as delicious!
Have you tried this recipe? Let us know in the comments below or over on our Facebook page. Better yet, post us a picture of your dish over on Instagram with the hashtag #babyviewpics