These delicious nutritious Kumara and Chickpea bites are a great meat alternative.
They are really cheap and easy to make and packed with protein and fibre with soft texture and a mild taste – great for babies and toddlers!
- 1 x tin chickpeas
- 1 x large kumara (golden or red recommended)
- 1 x tsp crushed garlic or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs or flour (or Gluten free alternative)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (or Gluten free alternative) for rolling.
- 1 tsp Green Herb Stock (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Peel and boil the kumara until soft. Remove from heat, drain water and add kumara into a large bowl with Chickpeas. Mash or blend together in a food processor with all the other ingredients apart from the 1/4 cup breadcrumbs.
Once completely combined roll into small balls and roll gently in the breadcrumbs.
Fry lightly in shallow frypan for 15 -20 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Leave to cool – and serve. Lovely served with Salad and rice.
Add some chilli powder or Sriracha Sauce to the grown ups portion of the mix for a bit of extra bite!
Handy hint: Add the chickpeas to the kumara for the last 5 minutes of the boil time to soften them and make them even easier to mash.